Rare Margerison's Soap Apothecary Show Jar and Advertising

Photo by M. Dow



Here's a wonderful fancy glass store counter display show jar that Jerry Pore shared with us.

This elegant drugstore advertising piece is etched MARGERISON'S. It looks like it would have held candy, but I did a little research and found that it once displayed soaps.


Here are 3 other etching variations of the store display jar (pix found online).

[See the comments if you've got one for sale.]







A couple of the colorful lithographed Margerison's Soap labels.
Peach Bloom Complexion Soap for the ladies. 
Golf Club Toilet Soap for the men.


Joshua Margerison & Co Ltd, became soap manufacturers in 1868, in Preston, England. Their advertisements said:

Manufacturers of Superfine Toilet Soaps and Toilet Requisites, Shaving Soaps, Dental Cream, Face Creams, Talcum Powders, etc. The original and celebrated White Windsor Soap, Finest quality Pale and Carbolic Soaps, Established 1868.
 
 





Their company was important to Preston's economy. It appears that they were in business until 1950, until a fire in the 1950's. The story goes that the flames were so hot, the soap melted and ran along the high street like a river.

Read Joseph Margerison's autobiography here: pdf link He gets to the soap business on page 13 (of 18).

Here are some photos from 1902 and 1922 that show a giant 6 ton tower of soap they displayed in parades. (Photo source)



1978 demolition of the Margerison's Soap factory buildings.

[Editor's note -- Originally published March 2011. Republished with updated info and additional photos January 2013. Original comments imported.]


The FinBotClub Blog is published by the Findlay Antique Bottle Club of Ohio

13 comments:

  1. Hi
    How much did Jerry pay for that lovely Margerisons Show jar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fascinated to see a photo of your Margerison's glass soap dispenser because we have an identical one at home here in the UK. We are in fact descendants of Joshua Margerison and we bought the bowl but didn't realise its origin until i found this article.

    Thankyou

    Nicholas Margerison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicholas - thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm so glad my mini-article gave you some new info. That's one of the great things about the internet. --Marianne

      Delete
  3. If anyone has a Margerison apothecary Jar. Please email me. I am desparate to replace my jar which got broke :(

    Wes

    wesjefferson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to hear you broke your Margerison jar. Good luck finding another. --M.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. My kitchen cupboard which was recently fitted collapsed onto it and left it in a 1000 pieces.

      I really hope someone out there has one. I am prepared to pay top price!

      Best wishes,

      Wes

      Delete
  4. Hello everyone,

    I am still looking for a margerisons show dish. As I mentioned, I am prepared to pay top price to replace it.

    Finger crossed someone has one they will part with.

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I found a few more info-bits since the 1st time I researched it. Hope someone somewhere posts some more company history for me to find in the future.

      Delete
  6. Still looking for a Margerison apothecary Jar. I'm not giving up hope!

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my Grandma was a Margerison and my Grandson has been researching the family
    He is 12 years old and he his wondering if anyone has any memoribilla that he could have. Thanks in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed all the emails/information about Margerison's Soap. I have a small upright wood and glass display case and recently discovered the barely readable words at the top front. Hopefully I will get some vintage soap to display in it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment - we love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails