A quick look at some antique paper bank note coupons, aka SCRIP, also called SHINPLASTERS, from the Citizens Bank Findlay Ohio, circa 1862.
First, the Citizens' Bank:
- The Citizens' Bank, under the firm name of Ewing, Carlins & Co., was established in the spring of 1854, and commenced business on the 3d of April.
- Located on Main Cross, opposite the courthouse.
- John Ewing, Squire and Parlee Carlin, Charles W. O' Neal, Louis Adams and Samuel Howard composed the firm. In April, 1855, Mr. Howard retired from the firm. the following November Mr. O'Neal dropped out, and Mr. Ewing in April, 1856.
- Adams, Carlins & Co. continued to run the bank until December, 1863, when Paul Sours took the place of Mr. Adams, and the firm became Carlins & Co.
- This bank was at that time the leading banking house of the county, and did a very large business.
- On the 17th of January, 1876. it was reorganized as the "Citizens' Savings Bank," with the following stockholders:
- Parlee Carlin, Dr. Lorenzo Firmin, M. D. Sours, Lewis C. Carlin, James A. Bope, Squire Carlin, Dr. Bass Rawson, George W. Myers, Samuel D. Frey, D. J. Cory, William L. Davis, John Davis, Isaac Davis and Mrs. D. B. G. Carlin. Soon afterward Peter Holler, Isaac Blaksley and Jacob W Wagner were added to the list, while Squire Carlin dropped out.
- The advertised capital was $50,000, and a guaranteed security of $100, 000. It was regarded as a sound financial institution, as its stockholders embraced several of the wealthiest men of the county;
- but on the 25th of March, 1878, it went down in financial ruin.
- The board of directors at the time of the failure were Dr. Lorenzo Firmin, president; D. J. Cory, vice-president; James A. Bope, secretary; Parlee Carlin, John W. Adams, Isaac Blaksley, Lewis C. Carlin and Jacob Wagner, with M. D. Sours, cashier.
- The cause of the failure was claimed by the officials to be the "heavy liabilities" and "scaly assets" of the old bank, which were unknowingly assumed by the reorganized institution. It was thought by many that the bank would resume business in a short time, but it never again opened its doors.
Source: History of Hancock County
Here's an excerpt from an informative article about collecting paper money, written by noted numismatist Tom Becker [source]:
Learn more about collecting paper currency here.
Squire and Parlee Carlin - Founding Brothers
- Squire and Parlee Carlin, brothers, were two of the earliest settlers in Findlay.
- Squire Carlin is credited with having opened the first store in the new village. -- in 1826
- 1828 - formed a partnership with his brother. Their store was known as S. and P. Carlin.
- The partners spent much time traveling through the forest buying furs from the Indians, white hunters and small traders. They would be taken by Squire Carlin or his brother to Detroit for sale and shipment to England and Europe. One winter, the Carlins purchased 4,600 deer skins and 7,000 coon skins.
- The brothers carried on their business at the Main and Front location until 1852, when they sold out, but continued to operate their grist and saw mills on the north bank of the Blanchard River for some years yet. They also engaged in the real estate and banking business for some years.
- More about the Carlin Brothers here: Findlay Courier Bicentennial
- They have many, many mentions in the History of Hancock County, also (click link, then click 'view all' on the site).
- Squire Carlin's biography is here.
John Ewing, another Citizens' Bank founder was also an important early settler in Hancock County:
- John Ewing was for many years one of the leading merchants of Findlay.
- He came to Findlay from Pennsylvania in 1833, and at once engaged in merchandising.
- At quite an early day he erected the three-story brick store known as the "Old White Corner", and was a man of considerable wealth.
- In March, 1842, Mr. Ewing was elected associate judge and served on the bench seven years.
- He was the member who represented this senatorial district in the constitutional convention of 1850-51.
- Judge Ewing was dignified and exclusive in his habits, and not very popular in the social circles of the village.
- In 1860 he removed to Springfield, Ohio, and afterward to Wisconsin, dying in Milwaukee in 1880.
- The people of Findlay, claim if it had not been for Judge Ewing's opposition and influence in favor of the Findlay Branch, the Pittsburgh. Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad would have been located through the town, which ever since would have been enjoying the advantages of that great trunk line.
- Source: History of Hancock County
Check out all the other Featuring Findlay posts. The link list is in the right-hand column, just scroll down.
Findlay Antique Bottle Club
Website - Facebook - Twitter - Google+
Sign up for our free newsletter!